Sunday, January 08, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I prefer natural fibres, but will give anything a go really.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I have attempted crochet, and think I prefer knitting. Never spun, would like to have a go.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have an old Paul Masson caraffe that holds my funky coloured plastic needles. My circulars are stored in an expanding file (so I can find them easily) and the old metal needles I inherited from L's Grandma are in a plastic wallet

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I reckon since I was about 12 or 13 on and off... I used to take it up, get bored with it, take it up again. I knit a few things for colleagues/friends who had babies over the last 5 or so years, and I'd say I've been improving my skills over the last 2.5 years.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Here it is

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lavender I think probably. Not really one for lots of scented things.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Crunchie, Maltesers, Dairy Milk, Bourneville I think are my favourites. But once the Christmas chocolate is gone there will be no more till Easter. That's my promise to myself.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Gardening is my other love, so knitting takes priority in winter.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I am mostly stuck in 1990's indie land of Pulp, Blur, Charlatans, Stone Roses, Wonderstuff. Currently listening to The Killers, Coldplay, Hard-Fi, Robbie Williams (here goes my cred) , Athlete. I may also admit to being a Wet Wet Wet fan (yes still) if you ask the right question.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
That would be purple. In fact anything stripey usually makes me happy.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live alone, but have a bf who I stay with most weekends.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, Yes, Yes and used to but don't think I've got it out the wardrobe this winter

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I find the stripeyness of Noro very very exciting, but also sometimes a little disappointing, esp when changing balls. I have enjoyed knitting with cotton for the clothes I've made so far and I find the bigger wools are very satisfying 'cause they knit up fast. I would say most of the stuff I have bought is Rowan, but I like the idea of buying wools that are handspun or where you can meet the sheep/goats/rabbits/alpacas/ (insert other yarn giving animal here) it came from

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Things that are too fluffy or synthetics that try to look real but just don't... but I can cope with them for novelty yarns.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I am really enjoying making bags at the moment, esp felted bags. I think felting could become a bit obsessive.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Things for others that they really appreciate

17. What are you knitting right now?
A cabled pullover for my friends baby boy who is 1 tomorrow. It's not finished yet! After that then I have a quick baby hat to do for an ex-colleague and then I start on my first socks.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Always. I feel it's really easy to buy things, but shows you have put some efort in if you make something, even a little thing.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I am becoming converted to the circular way of thinking, makes knitting on the train/tube easier cause your needles don't fly in peoples faces!

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Haven't tried bamboo. Aluminium is fine, my plastic needles look really cool but the smaller sizes are too flimsy.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No

22. How did you learn to knit?
My mum painstakingly taught me

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I was going to say I don't have one apart from the pullover, but at Christmas my mum pulled out a Jean Greenhowe greengrocer doll I must have started about 12 years ago... he was finished but his stall was in pieces. I hated the sewing up.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Pullover

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Anywhere with my BF. Preferably a cottage somewhere, with walking, log fires, pubs nearby and some time for kniting

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Nope

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Simply Knittng

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I would like to suss out the Debbie Bliss "Home" book... but there are so many good free patterns out there. I would love some Lorna's Laces to make a Clapotis.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I've not tried fair isle but would quite like to if I can find something good to knit. Also would like to have a go at spinning.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Soon to become one. UK size 6/7. About 23cm long from tip of toe to back of heel and 23cm around the ball of my foot...

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
18th May

32. Do you have any allergies?
I get hayfever, so I guess that's an allergy to pollen. My friends would say I'm also allergic to tidyness, oops.

3 comments:

becks said...

enjoy secret pal! you'll have so much fun, it's great when those parcels drop through the door!
becks x

Anonymous said...

These are enough to be getting on with:) I will have a parcel ready for you soon..in the meantime enjoy the mail/emails
Your SP7 Pal

Erin said...

Thanks for posting the questionnaire... and awesome camera case! Erin :) (your sp7 hostess)