Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blanket Decisions



I am now having a dilemma. I orginally bought this stash of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino to make this Wild Stripes blanket from Knitty.










However, seeing as my crochet skills are coming along I thought I would test making a hexagon in the

DBBC. Here it is, and here is a photo of the finished blanket from Simply Knitting (April 06)


I have decided to list out the pros and cons of both:

Wild Stripes Baby Blanket
Pros
- can be used as a blanket or a rug. Is quite contemporary. I have enough time if I start soon to do a bit every couple of days without getting too bored hopefully. It will be fun to choose material to back it with
Cons - can I really cope with that much stst without going crazy? It won't be very portable. Definately an in front of the TV knit. I will have to sew the backing/piping on.

Crochet Baby Blanket
Pros - At the moment crochet is a novelty and I am having to think about these hexagons. Excellent commuter project. He/She will be a summer baby and it will be more of a summer blanket (maybe this should be a con also)
Cons - I am worried it will look a bit dated, or like I am trying to be cool but not quite managing it. Not sure whether the hexagons need to be all one colour (as I have done already) or whether they would be better in two colours (like the pattern states) - this makes it instantly more annoying to carry around. Will I want to make a Noro blanket out of this once I have done the 50-60 hexagons for this one?

I am still non the wiser. Agh. I must be miss indecision today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in absolute awe of your self-dyed sock yarn. My DH has just returned from a trip to Texas and he has brought me back a veritable kaleidoscope of Kool Aid sachets (can you believe people drink that crap?) and your dyeing experiment has inspired me. I love the Baby Cashmerino blanket but I'm a stripey kinda girl. I haven't a clue when it comes to crochet and who knew that you could crochet polygons? Decisions, decisions. Looks like you are somewhat of a sock knitting addict too. Happy knitting (whichever you choose). T