Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sockret Pal Questionnaire

The start of another exciting exchange. I've visited the Blog of my spoilee and am already filled with ideas of what to send her. Here is my questionnaire:

The basics:
How long have you been knitting?
I started when I was about 13 or 14 and made lots of Jean Greenhowe dolls out of cheap acrylic.
I made a couple of things as presents for colleagues who were pregnant about 5 years ago, but it is really in the last couple of years (now my friends are all having children and I have a bit more time) that it has kicked off in earnest.

Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep?
My first pair of socks in February. I'm upto number 10 or 11 pairs now! So I guess intermediate - I have only knit one pair toe up, so I think I need more practice!

The measurements:
While your pal may ask for some additional info to ensure a great fit, please provide your shoe size, or any other fitting related info you think is pertinent.
UK Size 6/7.

(fiber related) Favorites:
What colors do you love?

Purples, bright colours, stripes. I'm on a bit of a brown thing with my wardrobe at the moment. There isn't really anything I don't like.
Do you prefer solids or variegated?

Self striping/variegated for plain socks and solids for lace/patterned socks
What fibers do you most love to knit with?
Anything that isn't too artificial! Wool/Cotton/silk. Anything quite soft (like lorna's laces) for socks.
I would love to try Socks that Rock or Koigu (hint hint!)
Who do you consider your favorite yarn vendors?
Ooooh, I love lorna's laces for sock yarn, the regia I have knitted with has been good too.
With regards to shops - I like people who dye their own, like HipKnits, and independent shops like Stash and Loop in London.
What projects (other than socks, of course*S*) do you most enjoy knitting?
Things that knit up quickly, or are presents. I've made some baby/toddler clothes, a baby blanket, toys, bags, and not many actual full size garments!

(fiber related) Dislikes:
What fibers can you not stand to knit with? To wear?

Acrylic for both, although socks need a bit so you can wash them!
What colors would you never wear?
Cream/yellow next to my skin (but doesn't really matter for socks)


The Tools:
Plastic or Metal? Bamboo or wood?

I have some gorgeous wooden needles my bf bought for me which are fab. Some brittany birch dpns and some metal addi turbos for my socks.
Circs or Straights?
Um, depends what I'm making.
DPNs or Magic Loop?
I have some 30cm addit turbos which mean I don't need to magic loop for socks and can knit in the round using dpns for heel and toe. I must buy some longer addi turbos and try magic looping.
Are there any knitting accessories you don't have in your collection but would like?
Some 2.5mm addi turbos (or similar - I hear knitpicks are good) so I can try the magic loop. They need to have a really good join between cable and needle as I've tried it with cheap plastic ones and it just doesn't work.

The Extras:
Do you have a wish list? If so, please share the link!

Just Amazon:

Do you like sweet, sour or salty? (or all of the above? *S*)
All of the above
Do you have any allergies your pal should know about? (Certain foods, smoke, pet hair, etc)
Nope
Favorite scents? Scents you can't stand?
Lavender is a fave, don't really like anything too perfumey.
Do you collect anything (other than yarn and knitting toys of course)?
No collections
When is your birthday? (month and day is fine!)
18th May
Do you spin? Dye your own yarn?
I have never spun, don't really have any great want to try.
I have done some Kool-Aid dying, which was fun and would like to do more.
Your favorite author/band/vacation spot, anything you think will help your pal know you better...
I'm a 1990's indie girl at heart, so I love Blur, Wonderstuff, Charlatans etc but also have a downfall when it comes to Robbie Williams and Wet Wet Wet!!!! Vacation wise. these days I enjoy a week away from it all in a cottage in the middle of nowhere; or alternatively a mad weekend in a city I've never been to. I enjoy cooking (esp now I have someone to cook for) and gardening (I'm looking forward to tackling the jungle at the back of Tony's house).
If you want to know anything else, ask away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All good things to know... :) Your questionnaire has been bookmarked and the wheels in my head are turning with ideas.

From your Sockret Pal
P.S. Your Amazon wishlist link didn't work. I'd be grateful for the correct link!