Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Strawberry goodness

I'm not really a girly girl but I couldn't resist starting a sock from The Yarn Yard sock club yarn for July - entitled Strawberry Patch. This little ankle sock was finished in about 2 days.I used the scalloped top of the Mock Wave cable socks pattern in Favourite Socks. Luckily for me 64 stitches to makes it stripe beautifully. This is a tiny bit too short so I think I need to rip the toe out and knit about 4 more rounds on the foot....
I've also deviated a little from the secret knitting because I couldn't wait to try out the laceweight from the Yarn yard for the Mystery Stole. Rather than swatching I decided to make the bottom of the stole my swatch - as you can see there are a number of mistakes.
However it did let me practice knitting with laceweight and also placing beads with a crochet hook. I do love this yarn, but I think it is a bit too lacey for this design. I love Nic and Emily's versions and they are using a little thicker yarn. So I decided to get my hands on some laceweight. Emily recommended some Malabrigo Lace - so I've ordered some from the US in outlandish style! I also bought some Jamieson's Ultra, as that is what Emily is using. I'll wait until the Malabrigo arrives before I choose what to use. Exciting stuff.
In other random news, Tony and I celebrated our 5th anniversary together last weekend. We decided to get away from the flooding and go to the lake district. We had a lovely time and even made it to the seaside on the way home. This is one of my favourite photos from the weekend.... some fungus on the walk up to Aira Force waterfall.

5 comments:

Nickerjac said...

The Malibrigo lace weight is wonderful to knit with I was lucky enough to try a sample at work.
Oh and love the sock :)

Roobeedoo said...

Yummy sock! And well done for overcoming your fear of lace! That fungi photo looks like something from National Geographic!
I just noticed that Get Knitted has malabrigo lace in stock...

Emily said...

Amazing picture! Congrats on your 5 years.
Did you want a colour of the Malabrigo that Getknitted didn't have? I think it will make a lovely MS3, and I definitely think you'll find starting lace with something thicker than the delicious Yarn Yard stuff (which really is a cobweb, don't you think?) much easier. I've def'ed the beads, as I thought they'd irritate me, but now think I might try a stols that *does* include beads next time.

Anonymous said...

Your Sockapaloooza 4 socks are on their way to you - I hope they fit!

picperfic said...

did you know that your profile is set to private so I had to google you to find you? I love those little socks, the yarn is gorgeous. That photo is superb too..I love it!