Saturday, February 02, 2008

UK Swap Topic of the week 2 and 3

I got my match for the UK Swap last night, am looking forward to this! I've already heard from my swap pal (a lovely e-card, thank you) and I've dropped my pal a line too :)
I thought it was about time I answered the last two weekly topics
Q: Do you subscribe to any magazines (knitting or otherwise)? Or do you prefer to purchase magazines at the newstand? Do you subscribe online to any knitting magazines/newsletters? What does a knitting magazine need to have to catch your fancy and get you to fork out that well-earned cash?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits and Interweave Crochet via P&M Woolcraft. I also get Yarn Forward; and have renewed for the next 4 issues as I think it has great potential. I used to get Simply Knitting, in fact I think I have them all.. but I have only knit about 3 things from the magazine in the last 4 years and I am a bit sick of seeing the same things every month so I've cancelled my subscription. I make sure I always look at the new Knitty and Magknits. I'm looking forward to The Inside Loop.

Q: What is your process when planning a project? Do you shop for yarn and then find a suitable pattern? Do you find your pattern and then go out to buy the yarn? Or are you stash-busting? If your stash is out of control, how did it get that way?
When I started knitting again I went a bit mad and bought loads of stuff off ebay... most of which I have now sold! I am a sucker for sales, but was *quite* restrained this year, I'm trying to buy yarn with projects in mind rather than just because it is a bargain or I like the colour. If I have a certain project that I really want to knit I will probably buy the yarn for it if there is nothing in the stash. Sock yarn is my big downfall.... as it is easy to buy a skein of something beautiful and not feel too guilty!

No comments: