Monday, January 05, 2009

Warming you knees

This week UK Swap inspiration topic is warming your knees.
Blankets are something I know quite a bit about, but only crochet ones !
Here are my blankets...
Blankets
Most have been gifted as baby blankets, the last one is the current WIP for a baby boy due in a couple of days.
Only the Noro Hexagon blanket is for me (first picture). This does a wonderful job of keeping my knees warm! However it is nowhere near finished. I have about another 5 or 6 balls to use up and hundreds of ends to sew in. It doesn't stop me snuggling under it on the sofa however.
If you are thinking about making a crochet blanket, then I recommend getting your hands on 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton - this is the book that gave me the blanket buzz!

I haven't knit any blankets yet, I do love the Alphabet Blanket by Debbie Bliss, but this is definitely a baby gift. If I was to knit something I can see the Hemlock Ring featuring high on the list. This would have to be knit in something a little thicker than the 4ply Cashsoft or DB Baby Cashmerino that most of the other blankets have been crocheted in!

6 comments:

CatR said...

Wow! I love the Hexagon blanket, and the other Hexagon blankets and the really bright Rainbow blanket... Brilliant.

Roobeedoo said...

Who needs to knit a blanket when your crochet ones are so fab?!

tea and cake said...

The trouble I have with knitting or chrocheting a blanket is the cost of the prescribed yarn - it can be astronomical. So, I only do things if I've enough in my stash. I've just purchased the blocks book, and it is lovely. So are your blankets, scrummy and cosy.

Linda said...

Your balnkets are fab, I didn't realise you had made so many!

Dawn said...

They're all really lovely. I have a plan for a giant granny square blanket using just yarn yard sock yarn (I have a lot, and I'm thinking of mixing the yellows, pinks, oranges, pale greens). I can't remember the noro blanket, what a great idea for noro leftovers. I think I may be copying you there!

Lucy said...

I love all of your blankets, what a fabulous way to show off Noro colours in the hexagon one! I have just knitted hemlock rinfg, and it was a joy to knit, and to block - but fairly useless for keeping your feet warm. I knit in a lovely thick scottish tweedy wool and did the size Jared specified, but as it's only about 4 feet across, and a circle, you can't use it to warm feet and legs on a chilly evening. Decorative purposes only, although very decorative!