Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Spinning, again...

I have managed some more spinning over the last week and Rachel lent me her niddy noddy last night so I could skein up this:
My Second Handspun
Here is handspun yarn number 2 - some blue faced leicester, 2ply, which Natalie kindly gave me when she loaned me the wheel.
My Second Handspun
Not bad for a second attempt. There is about 44m in total (according to my calculations) and there is a little more on one bobbin - hmmm, not sure what to do with that.
Not entirely sure what I can make with the yarn either, but that isn't really the point at the moment. Maybe my ipod needs a little bag?
Things didn't go quite as swimmingly at the start, and I had a bit of messed up fibre - I thought the birds might like it for their nests. We have "nestcam" back this year, and "Derek" is making a good home in the box at the moment.
Fibre for the Birds
In between the spinning I have been swatching too... for my Aeolian Wedding Shawl.
This is Posh Yarn Charlotte 2ply on 3.75mm needles. 7 stitch nupps at the top and 9 stitch underneath. The beads are slightly pearlised.
Aeolian Swatch Number 1
I think I need to go down a needle size, so I'm going to swatch again. I have some zephyr to swatch with as well and then I'm going to go into the wedding dress shop with my samples to see which goes best with the dress!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Lovely! I think that you're very brave to design and knit a shawl for your wedding, there's so much other stuff you have to organise as well!

Danielle said...

I love the spinning. http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/FEAThandyplying.html could be the answer for what to do with the bit left on the bobbin. I also agree that a smaller needle might be good for your shawl. Pretty looking yarn though. Is it undyed?

Roobeedoo said...

Looking good! Making the most of your days as a spinster, eh? And I agree about the needle size.

picperfic said...

so glad you are spinning! Your yarn looks brillliant for your second attempt?!?! I love knitting nupps..

florencemary said...

Can't wait to see how you get on with Aeolian! I'm sure it'll be gorgeous as a wedding shawl.